I need to give you a little background information before I get into the real story of this post. So, a couple years ago, I started taking trumpet lessons from DJ Barraclough. He is a member of the Dallas Brass and a phenomenal trumpet player. Not to mention an awesome teacher. Anyway, throughout the years, I've always made it a point to go to some of his concerts. Well, this year, they are in St. George for two nights!!!!! I went last night and loved it!!!!! I've been on a musical high ever since.
Usually the Dallas Brass invites schools from the surrounding area to play a song with them called "American Tableau". They get the music beforehand and rehearse it on their own, then the day of the performance, they rehearse with the Dallas Brass and also get a clinic from them. Well, the school I am student teaching at was invited to bring about 50 kids along with a few other schools to play with them in the concert tonight (the second night they are here). Rob and I brought along instruments just in case they needed some parts covered. Rob, since he's been teaching for 17 years, can pretty much play any instrument. I on the other hand, can pretty much just play trumpet at the moment. I'm learning others, but it would take some time and practice to be able to play this music. Well, we got there and they mostly needed trombones and french horns. Rob took trombone and I am now playing french horn on the concert tonight. Go me!! It's been about 3 years since I've even touched a french horn and even then it was just the basics of how to hold it and fingerings. Of course I don't remember any of the fingerings, but luckly they are very close to the trumpet. After the initial decision that I was on french horn and playing for the last 15 minutes of the rehearsal, Rob and I came back to the school and I got a crash coarse on how to play french horn. After practicing for a little bit, I can at least pass as an 8th or 9th grade french hornist, which is all I need for now. I would love to find a french horn somewhere, though, and learn it to a semi-professional level.
Anyway, I'm excited for the kids to get this experience and excited that I get to see their concert again. It always makes it 10 times more enjoyable when you know someone in the concert very well.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment