This past week I ended up helping my two best friends with the high school honor band they were hosting. Partly because neither one of them knows anything about orchestra and partly because they just needed another person to offer extra help here and there. It was a lot of fun and overall went very well. There were some stressful moments with clinicians canceling and schools not showing up, but things still worked out and the concert ended up going pretty good. Mostly for me it was good to talk to other directors and bounce ideas off of them.
On another note (no pun intended), the weekend before the high school honor band, I felt like I was back in high school again at my own honor band of sorts. Since moving here I have started playing with the Eastern Utah Wind Symphony here in Price and we had a concert last Saturday. We have been rehearsing once every other week for probably a month now, but all that really adds up to is about 3ish rehearsals. Last Friday night we had a 2 1/2 hour rehearsal scheduled with another one the next afternoon which ended up being just as long. It wasn't quite as intense as the honor bands I remember from high school, but it sure felt like I was back in that situation again. What I don't understand is who schedules a 2 1/2 hour rehearsal the day of a concert!?!?!?! I know you have to for an honor band, but for just a regular concert? I just don't get it. My chops were definitely tired for the concert, but we made it through without too many hiccups. It was very nice, though, to not be the one waving the stick and just be a regular musician again.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment