Saturday, August 6, 2011

Food, food, and more food!!

So, today I did bountiful baskets for the first time. I've wanted to for awhile, but since I've been moving around a lot lately, I've been trying to cut back on how much food I have in my house so I didn't have to move it all. Anyway, for those of you who have never done it, you should try it. You order your "contribution" (it is a non-profit organization so they call them contributions) online on a Monday or Tuesday, then the next Saturday you go pick up your "basket" at the specified time and place. I don't think I have ever had so much fruit and vegetables in my house at one time, or at least that was all mine. Let's see, I got a huge thing of leafy lettuce, celery, cauliflower, probably about 10 roma tomatoes, 2 red bell peppers (my favorite!), asparagus (which is the only thing I didn't like in the basket), some little green things that I think are cucumbers, bananas, a cantaloupe, 4 or 5 peaches, probably about 10 plums, and 4 or 5 pears. And all this was only $15............ I should have taken pictures of it all, but oh well. Next time.

Now the question is, how am I going to eat it all? I'm not sure, but I'm going to try my hardest! Now the fun part starts where I get to pull out my cookbooks and find recipes for some of this stuff. One thing I'm really excited about is that I've been craving peach cobbler for a few weeks now, made even worse by the book I'm currently reading by Joanne Fluke, "Peach Cobbler Murder". I actually chose that book because I was craving it and wanted the recipe for it. I'll have to update you later on what I choose to do with it all.

Also on the food front, before I left Cedar I had a co-worker at the bookstore give me a starter for Amish Friendship Bread. I'd never made it before and never had it before either but figured it would be worth a try. It was definitely worth it. I think I've found my new favorite sweet bread. First off, it has a box of instant vanilla pudding in it, but you also mix together cinnamon and sugar, dust the pans with it after greasing them, and then put what's left on top of the bread. Is your mouth watering yet? It does take 10 days to make, but once again, it is definitely worth it. Any of you that I'm going to see in the next week or so, I have 3 starters I need to give away if you would like one. (every time you make the bread, you end up with 4 starters, one for you and three to give away, hence the name Amish "Friendship" Bread)

4 comments:

  1. Again I say, "I'm jealous!". I really, really wish I could do bountiful baskets here. I wonder if they'll expand to Iowa...
    Anyway, funny that you have been craving peach cobbler. I just made that last week. It was really good. When you look for recipes you should try allrecipes.com for some good stuff. You can search by ingredient and the recipes have reviews with different suggestions and opinions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've actually used that site before. Usually if I'm looking for a recipe online I'll just google it, but half the time the results I get are from that website.

    As for bountiful baskets, I already gave you the solution to that one, just move back to Utah! And, I have an even better idea. You could move here to Price! It's got the small town charm just like Delta. It's also just an hour and a half from Provo and in the middle of nowhere. Feels like home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Price huh...I guess if it happens that we're moving back to Utah then anything could be on the table...even Price.

    ReplyDelete