Wednesday, August 17, 2011

600 pieces of music later.......

When I first started going to the school every day, one of my first goals was to look through, organize, and make a database of the music library. First off so that I don't go crazy trying to find things and second, to give me a chance to see what the school already owns before I started ordering new music.

I started off by taking a row off at a time, putting it into the database (while looking through it) and putting it back on the same shelf with the intention of putting it all in numerical order after I made a database. My main reasoning behind doing it this way was so I could go through and find all the duplicate pieces and put them together. Anyway, I was going along and had gotten up to just over 200 in the database when I realized that I had messed up the database. To the extent of not being able to undo it.......

In a nutshell, I ended up having to start over. This time, I decided to just take everything off the shelves and organize it while I was looking through it and putting it into the computer. These are the cupboards after I got through with them.







This is the floor during the process...........at this point, I had already gotten through about 100 of them, so there are a few missing from this picture. Its still a lot of music though.







Here is the finished product!!!! Yay, I finally finished earlier today!!!! (Keep in mind that there are two rows of music on each shelf, so there is a lot of music behind that you can't see. I think there are just about 600 pieces of music in those two cupboards.)






Here are some more pictures of my classroom after I got everything set up for the school year.










This is the mountain of instruments that we just got back from the repair shop. All I can say is "Holy French Horns!!!". There has to be at least 10 of them. Why we have so many, I have no idea.






Other than working on the music library, I haven't really been doing much else until just the past couple of days. As of Monday (the 15th), I started the new teacher orientation meetings. I just about fell asleep the first day and my brain felt like it was going to explode the second day. Boredom was the big factor on day one, but the second day we went over all the insurance and benefits stuff that still doesn't make any sense to me. Talk about information overload.

As I mentioned earlier, I finally finished the database and organizing today of the music library. After that, I came home and made a delicious dinner of cilantro-lime pesto pasta and chocolate chip, banana, nut, oatmeal cookies for dessert. It's been a good day.

2 comments:

  1. That music organizing looks like it was a huge undertaking! Good job! I love feeling like things are organized and in their place. I'm so excited for you. You're going to do great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool pictures of the "mess." I'm so glad you got it all organized. Your classroom looks nice and big, but what ARE you going to do with all of those french horns?

    ReplyDelete