Saturday, December 17, 2011

Update

Well, once again, it's been about a month since I last blogged. I promise this isn't intentional, I just get busy and forget.

My second concert of the year is officially over and boy am I glad. Concerts are great and all, but they are also very stressful. Especially this time around since I had to organize a mass rehearsal with 90 6th graders from 3 different schools. That included bus requests, permission slips, finding chaperones, the whole shebang. I know it doesn't really sound like much, but it was stressful trying to remember everything for that and still organizing everything for the actual concert. Overall, though, I think it went well. I got a lot of positive feedback from parents and co-workers. They all seem to be happy with how I'm doing things, so I guess that's good.

Speaking of chaperones, last night was the junior high dance for Mont Harmon. I guess they have two per year and all faculty have to chaperone at least one of them. Well, I figured I'd just get it over with now rather than in the spring when I'm busy trying to get things ready for festivals and such. Anyway, let's just say it brought back a lot of memories of how awkward junior high dances are. The kids just stood around on the dance floor in groups talking rather than actually dancing. It was just a big socializing party with loud music. About half way through, though, the DJ finally got the hint and started playing things like YMCA, macarena, chicken dance, etc. That was a lot of fun to watch. The kids got into it and had a lot of fun with that. I was about to go deaf by the end of the night, but overall, it was kind of fun.

I also chaperoned a high school honor band trip this past weekend. Since one of my best friends is the high school band director (Matt), he asked me awhile ago to help him chaperone some of his over night trips. That experience chaperoning wasn't quite as fun. I didn't feel well most of the weekend and the kids don't know me well enough to trust or really respect me. They also didn't believe that I was actually old enough to chaperone them which is partly why they didn't respect me since they know I'm not much older than them. It will be a lot more fun on trips like that once my kids start getting into the high school. By then hopefully the high school kids will get to know me a little more also. It will also be better next time since it is the SUU honor band and I am a lot more familiar with where everything is.

The biggest thing I have going on now that my concert is over is that I am preparing to move. Well, actually, I am technically already in the process. When I first moved into my present apartment, I knew it wasn't going to be for more than a year, but about a month ago I got tired of living in the neighborhood I do and also of going to the laundromat (they just creep me out). It just so happened that one of my fellow first year teachers at the high school was looking for someone to take over his lease, so it worked out well for both of us. This morning I officially signed the contract and got my keys. I've only taken one load over so far, but I'll probably take over a little bit more in the next few days. I'm not planning to fully move until after Christmas when I can get some help with the bigger furniture. The things I'm looking forward to most about moving are the nicer neighborhood, no more hearing little kids running around constantly above me, washer/dryer hook-ups, and rent being $50 less every month. I do have to say, though, moving is expensive. I had to pay a little over $600 today when I signed the contract, I'll have to pay $450 for rent come the 1st of January, and I'll probably have to pay some fees when I switch my utilities. Oh well, hopefully it will all even out a little once I get the deposit back for my current apartment.

Anyway, that's all for now. All I have to say now is "Yay!" for only having 2 1/2 more days of school until Christmas break. And the half day is pretty much just a babysitting day!

No comments:

Post a Comment